ECVC is looking for an Administrative and Accounting Officer, starting September 2022, based in the ECVC office in Brussels, Brussels
DEADLINE: May 30, 2022
European Coordination Via Campesina is a European grassroots organization which currently brings together 31 national and regional farmers, farm workers and rural organizations based in 21 European countries. Rooted on the right to Food Sovereignty, our main objective is the defense of farmers’ and field workers’ rights as well as the promotion of diverse and sustainable family and peasant farming. ECVC is the regional member of La Vía Campesina, the largest grassroots international peasant movement. Together we strive for societies where agriculture serves the needs of the communities rather than financial markets or corporations.
ECVC has a small staff team in Brussels, but our work is regularly shared and supported by our membership coming from different regions in Europe.
Starting from September 2022 we are looking for someone to fill in the position of Administrative and Accounting Officer. This person will be responsible for carrying out all accounting related tasks within the organization, for following administrative HR issues, for ensuring compliance with financial obligations towards the Belgian authorities, responsible for the office supplies, and for supporting the financial analyses of the organization and during audits.
ECVC proposes an international working environment, a small and familiar staff team, and the unique possibility to be part of a social movement led by peasant farmers’ and working for their rights and an agriculture based on agroecological principles and climate justice.
What we offer:
A position 24 hours / week (these can be organized in different ways over the week) for a period of 6 months. The position can be made permanent after this period subject to satisfactory performance.
We offer a salary which depends on the candidate’s experience starting with 1850EUR gross salary (for a 24h position) according to the organization’s salary grid.
Furthermore ECVC offers an attractive package of additional advantages: 20 days paid holidays for a FTE; 13th month salary; and mobility allowance.
The work is carried out from our Brussels office.
· Check and encode incoming invoices in general accounting and analytical accounting
· Encode bank transfers and all financial transactions
· Issue invoices and payment requests
· Following-up the status of receivables and payables
· Encode all other necessary asset, liability, and capital account entries
· Recommend financial actions by analyzing accounting options
· Summarize current financial status by collecting information, preparing balance sheet, profit and loss statement, and other reports
· Control all analytical entries on a monthly basis
· Support the Finance and Grant Manager in the follow-up of projects through analytical accounting analysis and during various audit
· Main contact with the social secretariat
· Responsible for staff contracts and registration
· Keep record of holiday entitlement
· Verifying monthly payroll and follow-up of HR costs
· Ensure the compliance with national legislation and internal salary policy
· Implementation of well-being measures
· File all tax returns : VAT, IPM and annual patrimonial association tax.
· File annual account deposit with NBB
· Responsible for the membership fee calculation, invoicing and payment follow-up
· Responsible for the follow-up of administrator indemnities
· Filing administrator change and other various statutes changes at trade register
· Follow-up of changes to organization’s statutes and internal ruling
· Office supplies, inventory
Skills and experience we are looking for :
· Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s Degree in appropriate field (accounting) of study or equivalent work experience
· Excellent command of either French or Dutch
· Knowledge of either English or Spanish would be an asset
· Thorough knowledge of basic accounting procedures and principles
· Excellent administration skills
· Experience with general ledger functions and the month-end/year-end close process
· Excellent accounting software user, preferably of Winbooks
· Accuracy and attention to details
· Aptitude for numbers and quantitative skills
· Intermediate understanding of accounting and reporting standards, gaining experience in researching as it relates to accounting issues
· Interest in agricultural and food issues would be an asset
How to apply:
Candidates must send the following documents in English to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight CET on 30 May 2022 (email header: YOUR NAME + Administrative Officer application) :
· Cover letter: 1 page maximum
Due to limited work capacity, only candidates who will be invited to interviews will be notified. Interviews are foreseen for the first half of June 2022.