Name of the Organization:
‘De Ommuurde Tuin’ & Toekomstboeren (La Via Campesina Nld)
De Ommuurde Tuin is a one hectare agroecological peasant garden with more than 400 varieties of vegetables, herbs and fruits – including some old varieties from the seed bank in Wageningen. It is a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) garden with 80 families who are shareholder and collect their share of the harvest, every week in a veggy bag.
Masterclass Agroecology in practice (English) Masterclass for people who want to learn about agroecology in practice. Whether you actually want to start a garden/farm yourself or if you want to start projects with peasants in the Netherlands or abroad – this course will provide you with the practical knowledge you need. “Taught by people with hands-on-experience, this course provides learners with a unique opportunity to put theory into practice. It gives learners the tools they need to move forward with agroecological food production, touching on agroecology as a practice, a science and a movement. If you want to start growing food, or if you want to develop a stronger, more sustainable and resilient food system, then this is the course for you.” – Jessica Duncan, Wageningen University Teacher of the Year.
Topics will be :
· How to design a garden with different varieties of vegetables, herbs and fruits, considering crop rotation?
· How do you generate an income, as a peasant, from small scale agriculture?
· How to start a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) step by step?
· How do you get access to land and build up a healthy soil life?
· What is our experience with different kinds of tools and machinery for a small scale garden?
· How to make compost or bokashi?
· Where do you get seeds and seedlings and what is important to take into account?
· How do you get ‘natural enemies’ into your garden, which can attack pests?
Duration of the training:
Masterclass Agroecology in Practice (English) : 5 days (18th – 22 nd March 2019)
Course Agro-ecologie in Praktijk (Dutch) : 10 days (8 lesson days + 2 excusion days + internship at the garden workshop of your choice)
English course : Send a motivation letter of max A4 – before the 18th of February 2019 – to firstname.lastname@example.org Please note: people who want to take this course, because they want to start their own farm/garden will be given priority during the selection process.
Dutch Course : Send your motivation letter of max. A4 before Monday 17th of December 2018 to: email@example.com Please note: there are a limited number of places available and people who want to start their own farm/garden will be given priority during the selection process.
Skills which can be acquired:
English Course :
· How to start a CSA garden step by step
· Practical knowledge about the soil, how to make bokashi compost, diseases and pest control, design of the garden, crop rotation, seeds and seedlings, how to get an income from a small scale organic agroecological garden.
Dutch Course :
· Hoe start je stap voor stap een CSA tuinderij
· Practical knowledge about the soil, how to make bokashi compost, tools and machines, cultivation plan, seeds and planting stock, diseases and pests control, how to get an income from a small-scale CSA garden