European Coordination Via Campesina (ECVC)
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: November 17, 2019
Start date: January 2020
ECVC is looking for a communication officer, starting January 2020, based in the ECVC office in Brussels.
The European Coordination Via Campesina is a European grassroots organization which currently brings together 31 national and regional farmers, farm workers and rural organizations based in 20 European countries. Rooted in the right to Food Sovereignty, our main objective is the defense of farmers’ and field workers’ rights as well as the promotion of diverse and sustainable family and peasant farming. ECVC is the regional member of La Vía Campesina, the largest international grassroots peasant movement. Together we strive for societies where agriculture serves the needs of the communities rather than financial markets or corporations.
ECVC has a small coordination team in Brussels, but our work is very decentralized and regularly shared and supported from different regions in Europe.
An opening is available starting January for the position of Communication Officer. This person will be responsible for getting ECVC’s and LVC’s message out there: to the press, public, our sympathizers and members, with the aim to strengthen our movement’s voice in the public debate, but also to reach out to rural people across Europe. This requires coordination within ECVC’s members but also allies and our international movement.
Start date: January 2020
Location: The work is carried out from ECVC’s Brussels office
Further information is on our website: www.eurovia.org
· Coordinate and taking care of the drafting, editing, production, and release of ECVC’s communication materials in the three working languages (EN, FR, ES), in coordination & with the input from members across various European countries.
· Oversee the translation of communication tools.
· Preparation, coordination and implementation of our communication strategy.
· Strengthen the visibility of ECVC’s position in the media and reinforce relationships with journalists.
· Update ECVC’s contact data base.
· Assure video and photo support for actions, events and publications (crop, edit visuals).
· Manage and follow social media: update and monitor Facebook and Twitter; make sure to connect ECVC’s different members and relay information put forth by them.
· Manage website.
· Develop innovative internal and external communication tools.
Beyond communications (25%):
· Facilitating Working Groups in ECVC (coordinate meetings/campaigns); support the ECVC work in fundraising; support office logistics
Skills and experience we are looking for:
· Sharing LVC and ECVC values
· Native in one of the three ECVC’s working Language (English, French or Spanish) with the ability to communicate in all three.
· Knowledge of the agricultural sector (e.g. CAP, GMOs, free trade agreements), interest in Peasant Agriculture and its values.
· Good knowledge of ITs tools, including internet, WordPress, lay-out software and social media.
· Ability to work equally as well alone or as part of a team.
· Good inter-cultural skills.
· Proven capacity to organize people and work in teams.
· Good editing skills.
· Knowledge of image and/or video editing software is a major plus.
· Experience in media work and communications strategies.
· Coordination is a big part of the job. You must have proven skills and experience in organizing and coordinating communication campaigns at similar organizations.
· Understanding and commitment to intersectionality.
· Ability to be flexible with hours and work assignments.
· Willing to travel within Europe for events and meetings
What we offer:
· This is a 32 hr/week job. Initial contract is for 14 months (with possibility of extension), with a six-month probation. It is ECVC’s intention to establish a longer-term relationship.
· A monthly gross salary based on the experience of the candidate (2750EUR – 3050EUR/month) with 20 days paid holidays, and in addition holiday pay and a 13th month. Conditions are according to Belgian legislation.
· The opportunity to participate in the rich social, political and cultural events organized in and around Brussels by our members and network.
How to apply:
Candidates must send the following documents in one of the three ECVC’s working language (English, French or Spanish) to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight CET on 17 November 2019 (email header à YOUR NAME + Communication officer application) :
· CV: 2 maximum pg
· Cover letter: 1 maximum pg
Due to limited work capacity, only candidates who will be invited to interviews will be notified.