European Coordination Via Campesina (ECVC)
The European Coordination Via Campesina (ECVC) is an organization representing peasants / small family farmers, agricultural workers’ and rural organizations across Europe. Our main objective is the achievement of food sovereignty. We struggle for food and agricultural policies and practices based on legitimacy, fairness, solidarity and sustainability. These are necessary to ensure food sovereignty, public health, employment in rural areas and to tackle the issues of the global food crisis, climate change and human rights. ECVC is part of the international peasant’s movement La Via Campesina – the largest peasant movement in the world – and unites 27 farmers’ and agricultural workers’ organizations of Austria, Belgium, Germany, Denmark, Finland, France, Greece, Italy, Georgia, Norway, the Netherlands, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and the United Kingdom.
Further information is on our website: www.eurovia.org
Job title: Accountant
Based in: Brussels, Belgium
Time: part-time 60%
Reports to: Financial Manager
Starting salary: € 1750,- monthly gross salary (for the 60% part-time) with 12 days paid holidays, in addition holiday payment and 13th month
Proposed starting date: 1 September 2017
Closing date for applications: 26 June 2017
The interviews can be conducted earlier and the call maybe closed based on received applications.
Applicants must have:
– the right to work in Belgium / EU (must have this before applying)
– working experience, preferably in a non-profit or similar organization
– good English and French language skills, also Spanish would be favorable
To apply: Download and complete the application form from our website and send the completed form to us, by email, to: email@example.com, with a cc to firstname.lastname@example.org, and put “Accountant” in subject line. We do not accept CVs or any other attachments.
The purpose of the position
Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships:
S/he will work part time as staff member, under supervision of the financial manager in close collaboration with the staff colleagues that do the thematic and communication work, interns and volunteers and the external financial consultant.
her/his role is:.
– Make timely payments according to Financial Policies for documentation and authorization.
– Maintain financial systems and files.
– Provide accurate financial information to the Financial Manager
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
– Prepare the supporting documents to carry out the payments
– Make the payments following authorization procedures
– Book all the invoices, the bank payments and salary costs in the accounting system
– Archive the documents correctly
– Organise the analytical account according to the needs of organisation/projects
– Summarize current financial status by collecting information; preparing balance sheet, profit and loss statement and other reports for the financial manager
– Maintain accounting controls by preparing and recommending policies and procedures
– Reconcile financial discrepancies by collecting and analyzing account information
– Establish and maintain contacts with Social Security Fund (give information for calculation of salaries etc.)
– Make the payments of salaries
– Establish and administrative follow up of the implementation of contracts for staff employees (collect medical certificate, illness days, holiday entitlement etc.)
– manage and monitor membership fees
– manage and monitor the budget for indemnities and travel expenses for members of the coordination committee
– Support the preparation of Financial Reports for donors
– Support the preparation of accounts for annual organizational and project audits
– Support the tracking of project expenditures
– Participate and actively contribute to internal review and learning processes to promote continuous improvements.
– Work closely with colleagues, in order to maximize organizational and financial effectiveness. Support the provision of training and other capacity development to support ECVC’s fundraising and financial management.
– Undertake other duties as requested
Qualifications, knowledge, experience and skills
– Bachelor in Accountancy/Finance
– Good knowledge of daily accounting and finance
– Good knowledge of accounting processes (budgeting, closing, opening, financial records, periodic reports, external audits, etc.).
– Proficiency with Information Management tools Word and Excel, bookkeeping programs (e.g. Winbooks) including proven experience working with open software tools, database.
– Knowledge of and experience in the financial management systems for non-profit organizations.
– Experience in managing projects funded by the European Commission.
– Proficiency in English, both spoken and written. Good French language skills. Also Spanish would be preferable.
– Appreciation of the values and mission of the organization
– Ability to respond flexibly to constantly changing budgets, projects, revenues, and expenses.
– Excellent skills in interpersonal and collaborative work; the ability to maintain effective working relationships with people from diverse national and cultural backgrounds, and for whom English is a second language.
– Excellent analytical skills, organizational and time management skills, including special attention to detail. Focus and commitment to achieving quality results.
– Capable of handling specific situations of intense or heavy workload.
– The right to work in Belgium / EU (must have this before applying).
Desirable, representing an advantage:
– Familiarity and experience with food and agriculture policies and human rights. Strong knowledge of the socio-political environment and civil society organizations in Europe is an asset.
– Knowledge of languages other than English (preferably French, Spanish).
– Adhering to the values of the organization
Terms and compensation:
– This is a part-time position 60%
– Duration of contract: until 1 March 2021
– Monthly gross salary after proven capacity: 1750
– 12 vacation days per year
– Opportunity to play a supporting role in a dedicated, enthusiastic and international team, in an inspiring working environment.